Thursday, December 02, 2004

The blasted truck

So, everything has been good for a while and that is why it was time for things to go wrong like they always manage to. So it has been like, oh, 4 weeks or so since we have had to fix the truck so it was really actually time for it to break down again. Yesterday, as I was being the good a dutiful housewife that I am, I went to purchase some groceries. I decided that since we needed to have the solenoids replaced anyhow I would go ahead and not do that and go to the store first. So I gassed up at the 3rd closest gas station. I got back into the car, turned the key, and (as some of you who know my luck with this truck will know) not a bloody thing happened. Not even a click! So, I go to the pay phone, since the cells had been turned off for a month, and stood outside for about 45 minutes trying to hold on to the nasty, dirty pay phone reciever and a baby who wanted to hold it, too. After 5 unsuccessful attempts at getting through to RC, I finally get him. "Have you checked your voicemail?" "No" "Well, maybe you should check it" "O.K., Hold on (unintelligible background noise). Where are you?" "I am at the gas station. If you had checked your voicemail you would know!" "What is wrong?" "The truck is dead" "What is wrong with the truck?" "It is dead." "What is it doing?" "Nothing. Not even a click." "How many times have you tried it?" "Like 50!" "Well, I guess I'll call the shop and see if C will come get you." "Yeah, Thanks, I would appreciate that." "I love you." "Yeah." Click. Five minutes later... "Did you call him?" "Yeah, He said he would be down there as soon as he could. You know, if you had gone to the shop first thing then this would have happened at the shop..." Click. By this time the baby is not only trying to grab the phone but also the edge of the phone box. Forty-five minutes later... "When did he say he was coming?" "As soon as possible." "Oh. I am going to walk home." "Don't do that. I'll try again. Call me back in five minutes. And don't walk home." "Alright." Click. So, after spending on and off about 2 hours outside holding a squirmy baby and a reciever, I finally go back inside and resolve myself to sitting and waiting without complaint (but inwardly seething) when I really just want to be at home. Some background on me: home = a place where I can cry my eyeballs out at whatever little inconvience comes my way (yeah, I know I am a baby). So, there I am sitting with a baby who is now in full force like I am stuffing arsenic down his throat. So, I give RC a grace period of about ten minutes, when all of a sudden a shadow blocks out the overly cheery sunlight streeming through the window. Then to my surprise (since I hadn't looked up yet, seeing as I had tears streaming down my face), the eclipse picked up my keys, grabbing ahold of the one for my truck. I look up into the face of this knight in shining armor (who seems to rescue me more than my own husband). Oh joy of joys! It is C, my mechanic! With a greatly apologetic look in his eyes (and mousse in his hair), he says," I am really sorry. Right after RC called some one came in to get a qoute." "That's alright. That's fine." I say weakly as I attempt to brush the tears off of my face without him noticing. So then, with phone call forgotten I go outside into that biting cold. C tells me there is a bad connection in the starter. So, within minutes I am driving down the road again, this time towards C's shop. Once I get there, I give RC the forgotten phone call and, surprise, he is almost to the shop. So, I sit down with a squish in my lap and a twinkle in my eye. My knight in shining armor is coming. Shortly, I see a big grin pas across the features of the squish, he must see someone he knows. Yep, just outside the front window is daddy-o. So, the rest of the day flashed by in a whelter of images both good and bad, until 7-ish. Included in all of those "flashing images" somewhere was me completeing my grocery shopping, and as always forgetting about six things, and, I think, also images of myself, the squish and my man eating sustenence of some sort at some time. Oh yes, after 7-ish is when the ladies hang, so it was all cool and stuff.
Yes, so that is the tale of the blasted truck.

2 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger mistic_mommy said...

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... that stupid truck... let me know if you need anything,k?

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger Ruby Anne said...

no wonder! i didn't know you had such a crappy day. i'm sorry. but i'm glad that you are gonna come have a little mini-break with me.. which has had it's share of bumpd thus far, but i hope it's straightening out it's course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home