Monday, January 10, 2005

Sleeping on the couch but not in the dog house...

So last night, once I finally turned my light out, I realized it was far too hot in the bed so I went kick in the fan on the ac and the thermostat said it was like sixty five degrees in the house. So I went ahead and kicked it in, and went and layed back in the bed. After laying there for a little while, oh about twenty or thirty minutes, I realized that the problem was not with the house being hot, the problem was with my hot husband flung all across my side of the bed. So I turned the fan off and went and layed down on the couch. So I layed there, at quite a comfortable temperature, and I layed there and I layed there. I could not fall asleep. Some one who has spent the last four years of their life sleeping in an occupied bed could probably tell you why I could not fall asleep. I wanted to spoon! But alas, I didn't want to get burned by the massive amounts of furnace like heat coming off of my soundly sleeping husband. So I finally had to resort to my last hope, a little trick I learned from my favorite sci-fi trilogy of books ever, The Darkchild Trilogy by Sydney Van Scyoc. The way that they applied this discipline was in the form of emptying yourself to allow the teachings to flow through you, because you cannot hear unless you empty yourself. What you do is breathe. Yes, it is that simple. With every exhilation you send a thought away, on every inhilation you tell yourself what you want, in my case sleep was my mantra. It has worked before and like a charm, I was waking up to my husband's alarm clock an hour and a half later before I knew what hit me. I have also used it with yoga to produce a powerful relaxing effect. In yoga, I don't use it to move a teaching through me, more like simply trying to quiet the distractions vying for attention in my head. It could also probably be applied in an instance such as centering or contemplative prayer. So, this was just a little tip from me to you. Remember, keep your breathing even and regular, don't force it, if you feel the need you could even sigh on your exhale to trick yourself into believing that you really are setting your thoughts out to drift away from you then go for it.
So anyhow, back to my story from this morning... After RC wakes me up, I go back to my bed, and since he isn't in it I stretch all out across it until I realized that it was rally cold by then so I cacooned myself in the blankets and fell back asleep eventually. But only about an hour and a half pass before I hear my little suishy wailing at the top of his lungs. I jumped up and raced to his room to find him with his had stuck between the crib and the wall because he was trying to grab the outlet that is just behind the bedpost. Lucky for him I put covers on them ages ago. And that ws the most activity I have had today. I did get to lay in the tub for about forty five minutes. It was nice, but I still wish we had a Japanese style bathroom. I want a tub that has a fire beneath it to warm it, and a flat tiled area in front of the tub with a drain in it so you can wash first, then get into the tub. Better yet, why doesn't MS just get public bath houses like Japan has! I think that is a great idea. But I think that people of America wouldn't be able to get over the whole naked-in front-of-a-bunch-of-other-people thing. But you know me, the girl who wanted to live at a nudist colony when I was a late teen. I still would like to build a commune, but nudity would be totaly up to the individual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home