Saturday, May 27, 2006

Somewhat Dissappointed

After having waited breathlessly the opening of X-Men 3: The Final Stand I am left with the somewhat acrid and bitter taste of dissappointment in my mouth. I have been a fan of X-Men ever since I was a young girl watching the cartoon on television (Note to comic book purists: I know the cartoon was not exactly like the comic book, but you have to just take a peek from my point of view). Each and every day I rushed into the house from the bus, flipped on the television and sat entranced, enraptured from the first strains of music to the ending credits an adventure later (granted it was only a half an hour adventure but it was an adventure for me none the less). I recall especially loving what is known as "The Dark Phoenix Saga". I loved the passion and fury, the pain and sacrifice. BUT... I loved it as an alien entity chased across the endless wastes of space and time by none other than Charles Xavier's good friend (nudge, nudge, wink, wink), Lilandra, of the something-or-other alien race that inhabited the something-or-other system of planets. I loved, no no no listen to me, I LOVED the idea of such a being that was able to do what it did, not the idea of multiple personalities. I LOVED that it felt humble Jean Grey was the perfect host. I LOVED that it discovered how love felt through occupying Jean's body with her whirldwind of passions toward two very different men. I LOVED (spoiler, do not continue reading if you are not going to the movie until tomorrow night) that nobody ever died throughout the whole saga. Well, I am sure somebody died, but it wasn't the specific people who died in this big screen version, definitely. I guess this is a scenario like what happened with Dungeons and Dragons the movie: You really should not judge a movie by it's cartoon, much like one of my other favorite phrases, you shouldn't judge a book by it's movie (or is that backward). I don't know that it is possible to list all of the dissappointing movies that I have seen because I had read the book, more so lately than earlier in life becasue of the massive amounts of books-to-big-screen that are happening now. But, one particular epic saga of massive proprtions had always stuck out in my mind as something that I wanted to see turned into a motion picture, The Dark Phoenix Saga. I am happy to have seen it, but I will always treasure what I feel is the better one in my heart.

1 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Paul and I saw it on Sunday. I really liked it. Not as good as the first two, but it was good.
Let me know what your doctor says tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home