Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Croc Hunter lives on...

I am such a silly girl. I don't mean funny with the occasional tendency to giggle. I mean ridiculously sappy with the tendency to cry like an idiot over the smallest thing. Today the "non-working" portion of the family went to the library. The little man loves dinosaurs, so unthinkingly, I grabbed a Croc Hunter video to occupy him for a little while. Bad. Idea. Throughout the forty or so minutes that I spent watching it, I bawled my eyes out. I loved watching Steve Irwin on TV (before we no longer had cable), and when I saw the news bulletin about him dying, I cried. Don't you think that would give me some inkling as to how I would react if I saw him again? It isn't because I was in love with Steve Irwin, I was in love with the close-knit family values that were so prevalent in the public eye. He had adventures. He shared them with his wife. He romanced her. I felt it like a physical pain when I tried to see how she must feel, assuming that they had as much love between them as RC and I have, and suddenly losing that would probably have killed me. I loved the new ideas that he brought to light of how to treat animals and creating an institution (Australia Zoo) in which that knowledge can be shared with all and sundry. I loved the fact that there was someone in the public eye who could be so real and passionate about all that he did. Hmm... Reminds me of somebody else.

Disclaimer: I am in no way insinuating that Steve Irwin and Jesus are the same. Simply stating that they both lived in a very real way. I am under no assumptions that Steve Irwin was perfect or sin-less, because come on, none of us are.

(for steve {not irwin}: because we're all guilty of the same things. he he)

1 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I KNOW you DIT-'NT!!!

--lol. SR

 

Post a Comment

<< Home