Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The latest truck issue

I never said anything about exactly what happened to the truck, so here it is. We got an oil change about two and a half weeks ago, just after that it started dripping (profusely) and smoking (simply from all of the dripping). So, I took it back to the place that did the oil one week ago on Monday. They showed me where the dripping was coming from and told me it was just coincidence that it happened immediately after they changed my oil. So, since it was the transmission that was doing the leaking, the following day I took it to the shop that rebuilt our transmission in October of '05. They said that they would take a look at it and give me a call as to what was causing the dripping. So, we (mom and I) dropped the truck off at about nine thirty-ish, and I waited and waited and waited for the phone call. Finally, around three thirty I get a phone call.
"Your truck is ready now."
"Ummm... Ok. So what was wrong with it? You were supposed to give me a call to let me know."
"Oh. Um... I didn't realise that. I wasn't the one who talked to you earlier. It was your blah blah blah something that sounds like car blah blah blah."
"Oh, ok, thanks for fixing it."
"So, you can comepick it up anytime. It'll be $$holy$freakin'$moly$$."
"Thanks {muttering under breath}, bye."

So we had to wait until at earliest Friday to pick it up because we had no money. So, mom took me down to pick it up because she was feeling crummy so she didn't go to work. We piddled around in Murfreesboro for a while and then headed home. I needed to get some cat litter but decided at the last minute to just head home instead to put the kids to bed for nap time and then I would go get kitty litter kid-free. So, we are about two and a half to three miles before our exit on the interstate when the truck sort of does a little shimey under me and smoke starts pouring out the back like the floodgates of hell have been opened. I am gradually able to get over to the shoulder and pull of of the road. I get out and the entire passenger side of the truck is covered in some sort of fluid. I look under the truck, it's red. Transmission fluid. What in the world has happened here, I just picked it up from the transmission shop? Praise the heavens, my mom was following me. She also got a generous spattering of transmission fluid on her windshield. She pulled over too, and she has got a cell phone, unlike me, the cell-less. So, we call my sister to get the next door neighbor's phone number, we call our next door neighbor, we call RC. Then I get the bright idea to call the transmission place, since I happen to have a reciept with their phone number on it on my passenger seat. They say they will send a wrecker right out. We wait around, move everything from the truck to my mom's car, the little man christens the side of the road. And then the wrecker gets there. He said that a tube is completely off of it's fittings. It is a transmission fluid tube, and they probably just wiggled it around too much when they were fixing the truck and my driving the truck just made it pop right off. So, the truck went back to the transmission shop, and I go home again truck-less. All in all we were only on the side of the road for about thirty minutes. I got a call not four hours later saying I could pick it up anytime. There was no charge for the tow (good thing, I sure wasn't planning on paying for it). So, Saturday morning, RC and I went out there bright and early at nine o'clock and got our sweet little Green Lantern and brought her back to where she belongs. I fear now that we are going to have to start saving up to get a new car though because guess what, yes, of all things, the transmission is slipping. Again. Go figure. We have put more money into the truck having it fixed than we payed for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home